Everyone is now talking about Mental health because Prince's William, harry and duchess of Cambridge "Heads Together" campaign and I am glad that this is becoming a focus to prevent those with mental health issues suffering in silence.
When the Health care professional at my ESA 50 assessment asked the question "Who looks after my mental health? I tried to answer that my issue was not a mental health one, as such, because I have Asperger Syndrome/ASD/Dyslexia. I get mental health problems from the stress of having to cope in a job, having demands placed on me which I cannot fulfil. Struggling achieve the demands of school, workplace, and at times home, alongside being continuously bullied from infant school right through to the end of my schooling.
The bullying did not end there either, at the job centre in various places I was bullied however benignly into many situations I knew would be hard for me.
So when I went to the assessment last year, and that question was asked. I have to say it was a stupid question and showed the ignorance about and lack of training in regard to people like myself who have an ASD.
I was told by professionals at the Job centre ,10 years ago that finding a job/work place for me was impossible because of the many very specific problem I have because of the combination of ASD/Dyslexia/Dyscalculia, so I have not had tremendous issues with mental health because for 10 years, as demands have not been placed on me, as I live with my mum and could not even consider living on my own.
Right now the P.T.S.D from all the trauma of living with the continuous abuse and bullying which has continued at points right through my Adult life, as well as through childhood, teens and twenties.
In fact the ESA50 assessment felt as if I am being bullied again, as I was not given time to answer the questions properly, and some questions I did not know how to answer and many other such things which made the whole experience traumatic and very upsetting.
It brought extreme heartache, pain back to the surface.
Just because I seem capable, does not mean that I am able, and the bullying from an unseen foe is harder to bare because, I knew who was bullying me physically, I could see them the possibility of getting away for a break, in another place, was there always and there was a bit more safety in the classroom, or the workroom, because break times were hard.
Throughout all of this there has been loss and bereavement of dreams and hopes, as well as ideas that died along the way because of wrong labels. The wrong labels were stupid, naught, ignorant, awkward. The right label was ASD, and when I was asked about my mental health, another label that is wrong, maybe not totally, but in many ways wrong, and maybe why I reacted so badly.
When the Health care professional at my ESA 50 assessment asked the question "Who looks after my mental health? I tried to answer that my issue was not a mental health one, as such, because I have Asperger Syndrome/ASD/Dyslexia. I get mental health problems from the stress of having to cope in a job, having demands placed on me which I cannot fulfil. Struggling achieve the demands of school, workplace, and at times home, alongside being continuously bullied from infant school right through to the end of my schooling.
The bullying did not end there either, at the job centre in various places I was bullied however benignly into many situations I knew would be hard for me.
So when I went to the assessment last year, and that question was asked. I have to say it was a stupid question and showed the ignorance about and lack of training in regard to people like myself who have an ASD.
I was told by professionals at the Job centre ,10 years ago that finding a job/work place for me was impossible because of the many very specific problem I have because of the combination of ASD/Dyslexia/Dyscalculia, so I have not had tremendous issues with mental health because for 10 years, as demands have not been placed on me, as I live with my mum and could not even consider living on my own.
Right now the P.T.S.D from all the trauma of living with the continuous abuse and bullying which has continued at points right through my Adult life, as well as through childhood, teens and twenties.
In fact the ESA50 assessment felt as if I am being bullied again, as I was not given time to answer the questions properly, and some questions I did not know how to answer and many other such things which made the whole experience traumatic and very upsetting.
It brought extreme heartache, pain back to the surface.
Just because I seem capable, does not mean that I am able, and the bullying from an unseen foe is harder to bare because, I knew who was bullying me physically, I could see them the possibility of getting away for a break, in another place, was there always and there was a bit more safety in the classroom, or the workroom, because break times were hard.
Throughout all of this there has been loss and bereavement of dreams and hopes, as well as ideas that died along the way because of wrong labels. The wrong labels were stupid, naught, ignorant, awkward. The right label was ASD, and when I was asked about my mental health, another label that is wrong, maybe not totally, but in many ways wrong, and maybe why I reacted so badly.
No comments:
Post a Comment