Sunday, 11 January 2015

Je suis Charlie, unity and solidarity

I am British and I have only passed through France via Calais once in my life. Today after the sieges and deaths of hostages, The people have spoken by their joining together, poiltians and leaders of faiths saying Liberte and unity.

When Charlie Hebdo was attached and people killed I felt like satire and the use of freedom of speech in that way was not a valid use of that freedom, but I have realised that freedom of speech is that freedom and while as a person I would not choose to read or take part in satire for several reasons. I realise that regardless of the form of freedom of speech, no one has the  right  try and prevent this through fear tactics and terror.

I stand in unity with my French brothers and sisters. I pray for the peace and love to remain giving hope for the future.
Translation into French
JE SUIS en unité avec mon français frères et soeurs. Je prie pour la paix et l'amour pour rester en redonnant de l'espoir pour l'avenir.

I am standing with France and the French to say along with them that what happened is wrong and it is sad on all levels that firstly people feel that they need to do these things, and secondly that they do them.

But a muslim man save the lives of people in the kosher supermarket he was working in and a muslim policeman was shot/executed.
I remember that 17 people died, killed by people who were out to gain martyrdom, which depending on beliefs and faith can be viewed in many ways.

But personally I veiw the whole thing as a tragedy for those killed by the terrorists, and a tragedy that there are terroists in the first place, but also a landmark week and today especially a landmark because millions of ordinary people have said and reacted in the opposite fashion, with unity and love.

Je suis Anglaise, Je suis Charlie, Je suis Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment