Saturday, 9 January 2016

The Hum of the Earth - it's voice is the rain

Things are changing I can feel it in the bones of me. I feel the rain and the flooding are tears of awakening of the land.
I feel the sadness of all the people suffering damage to homes and loosing precious things they value and all the money and wastage cause by this happening, but there is something deeper at the heart of all this, something we have yet to understand, yet to appreciate the value of.
Material wealth is needed to live, poverty is not nice.
People are sad about pictures and memories that were washed down the drains into sewers, and no way to replace, and that is about family and that is precious, but furniture costs alot and yes it is nice to have nice things and I would be upset like them if I had worked hard to buy these things, BUT we live in a society that has been taught that perfection, is the only way, there are people who look down on people in poverty.
I know that it won't be the same people who do that, who are the ones who have been flooded out over the last weeks.
The general feeling of entitlement to have what we want, how we want it, when we want it, can become an obsession, and a source of pride. I have compassion for the suffering, and I feel the despair of having to recover yet again from something that has left you low, but poverty is rife in the UK and people need to realise there is more than one type of flood that lays people low.
Loosing a job, which looses a house, where the family or individual are homeless and loose everything. Poverty because of illness or injury, after being healthy and the torrent of grief that follows such things.

I realise that the floods have been a major happening, and have caused pain and grief in very deep ways, but the pain that goes on every day of the year is just as bad, but it is hidden, unspoken and does not have a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment