Thursday, 9 July 2009

Gary Mackinnon

As a person with Aspergers Syndrome I truly feel for this young man and his situation.
My prayers are with him and I hope that the Authorities both in America and here will see sense and understand that he was not being a criminal or even had any mallicous intent.
I realise I don't personally know him but I know other people with Aspergers and I would not classify them as a danger to America.
The main issue is that this is a person who vulnerable and probably isolated and in danger for his life if he were convicted. He is obviously very talented with computers and very able in that area of his life.I would not know the first thing about hacking into any computer system.
To the general population hacking into what should be secure servers is regarded as a bad thing to do and yes, he shouldn't have done it, but people with A.S do not see the world in the same way and would think that most things are OK to do, unless they are told not to do something, then it would never be done.
The Diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome, I suspect, is regarded with suspicion by America, because of the fact that it came after the action which Gary took.
So many people do not believe that A.S. exists because they cannot see it, but I recognise that I had it from birth via my Mum's experiences of me. Gary did not acquire this at diagnosis, he would have had A.S from Birth, and the people involved show thier ignorance, in persuing such a person, who in many ways could be considered a soft target.

No comments:

Post a Comment