Monday, 14 July 2014

The challenges of weightloss and an Aspergers Life

Things have changed for me over the last few weeks, being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, now on medication and forced to face up to loosing weight. In 2003 I was 12 stone, in 2013 I was nearly 16 stone.
during those years inbetween I have had a spell in hospital, for an op for gallstone, and pancreatitis caused by the gallstones. I felt so poorly after that experience both psychologically and physically that diet went out the door, because at the time I struggled to eat.

In 2004/2005, I had difficulty when returning to work after 3 months off, and people broached the subject of Aspergers Syndrome and I had my diagnosis in May 2005.

I have had difficulty with exercise all my life because of a knee problem I have had since childhood. Then 3 years ago I attended an outdoor birthday party and recieved two bites on my right ankle which swelled and also affected my achilles tendon, which had been injured twice before in my teens and then my twenties.
So I really struggled to make any decent movement in my life for the last 3 years. The pain was horrendous initally and summers have been difficult as the heat has caused my feet to swell and caused pain in my right tendon. But it  is only in the last  2 months that the pain has begun to subside and begin to feel normal.

I also have had difficulty driving, the result I have driven very little, but now feel  that I could get behind the wheel again.
All my life I have tried things to help me exercise and people have offered advice but I find it difficult to run with ideas and suggestions that other people make because I don't live a "normal" sort of life, as I do not have a job, as it was said that I could not because of my specific needs.

I would love to be slim and wear clothes that truly fit the person I am inside. I dream of that sometimes, but have felt the pressure and struggle it takes to loose weight, actually weighs on my mind, because of the extra effort required to do this, as in my world there is never a day that is free from the anxiety of living. These are the challenges I face every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment