Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Thinking about 2016 and the floods of December 2015

As I have watched the news over the last few weeks with all the flooding, and the devastating effects of all that is going on for these people, what they have lost and what is so hard. I feel for all of them.
But there are other issues.
I see another thing going on and in a world where we are talking about climate change, all these floods have created a literal mountain of damaged furniture, white goods and carpets that just have to be dumped because they are polluted and dangerous and not salvageable. This in turn requires more energy and more resources, to make more and more.
Whilst I recognise that there are other people's lives and jobs involved in providing those goods, there is a disconnect with reality.
Paris december 2015 conference made thier agreement where the signing countries have made the 2. something degrees, reduction? and yet we are still as western nations pushing forward with all the strength we can muster, on manufacturing  and all other things that require energy in amounts that cannot be sustained, and other nations like India and China are now following in our footsteps, creating more and more pollution.
This planet is a living organism, and nations act like they can do as they want and it is no one else's business.
But the floods and the storms and the changes we are seeing, although science would not recognise this, I am really beginning to think that the rate of change has speeded up and that the planet does not recover totally before the continuing change progresses.
The floods are evidence of  the progressive desire for more and more and more of everything, without thought for the future.
I am beginning to consider what I can do myself reasonably to do my part, outside of what I am already doing.
The human mind in general has a higher opinion of itself in general terms and we have achieved a lot but the planet as it is, needs something far more radical than any human being can achieve, the disconnect and burying of multiple heads in the sand over decades and centuries requires a change that has not yet been imagined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment