Hi there,
I know someone who also has A.S, and is going through an horrendously emotional time over a work situation which means she does not have a job now . I don't know anything about the truth of what really went on, but I can see it is really hard for her.
It is for people like that I want to highlight the issues that people with Aspergers Syndrome experience. Every person with A.S is different from the next. But things like late diagnosis and isolation, and help with daily living, are all issues faced by many with A.S. There are greater needs for some, and lesser needs for others.
I have many reasons for doing this blog, some personal and to do with my need to have a voice and let other people know what it is like to live with A.S.
It is hard to describe what it is like to live with A.S, but it often feels like I am in a bubble with a very thick skin and I am trying to get out. This happens with communication, where people misunderstand or interpret what you said with the worst meaning possible, when actually the only meaning was a literal one and there were no hidden messages(Life is too short for all that!!?)
At the age of 42 I have had alot of life experience both negative and positive.
Alot of the negative input has come from people who never asked or listened or gave me a voice in life, some of this was in the family(Things are better now). Indeed my parents thought I did not listen to what they wanted me to do day to day. They did not realise I had disability.
One thing I want to make very clear is that A.S is NOT a disability of intelligence, as many will have average to high I.Qs. We may be capable of many things outside of the group/team player context in work or any other part of life.
I did my degree at University of Wales,Newport(Formerly UWCN) graduating in 1998. This was achieved prior to diagnosis of A.S and I managed with some help and support from Family
Of course things are never trully simple when A.S is in the equation, because you are never completing on a level playing field. I may have gone on to do futher study, but never felt able to as the following year things all changed for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment