Monday, 27 April 2009

writing and education

I did not do an entry yesterday, because I needed a break from writing.
It takes a hugh effort for me to organise the arrangement of words on a page. I wouldn't say I am a brilliant writer, but considering that school was all but useless to me, and most of what I now know about words and the written page was learnt long after leaving school. Especially as I was virtually ignored and regarded as stupid by some of the teachers.
All the experiences of my school days, left thier mark and although I see myself very differently now. The past makes me feel passionate about the need for an education that is geared to the needs of the individual/child.
When I left school in 1984 I had one O'level and five CSE's, but I was fortunate to have the chance to gain an education at Further Education and later on at University. I remember someone saying what was the difference between F.E. and H.E, well if your like me, then there is a great deal of difference. F.E I could manage on my own, but H.E required a bit more support from family.
Looking back,I could have done with a little more support from the University,but it was before diagnosis, and it was really hard work, and was the sole focus of my life for four years.
Going to Uni was my way of dispelling the false labels that were given to me throughout my childhood and school.
I dreamed of going to university and was really glad when I managed to go. The whole experience was a big deal for me and one I will relish and feel grateful that I did it for the rest of my life.
But there are things I still want to achieve such as writing a book about my life and the arrival via a long journey toward diagnosis and the negatives of all that, as well as the few positives,
of living in world that does not acknowledge the needs you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment