On Friday, 22nd May 2015, I said to mum that my leg was swollen again during our night time routine, but I was not bothered. Then half an hour later, I had my nightly shower, and found a big red rash as though I had been bitten by an insect, at the time I don't remember it, but time distance has left a vague memory of a pain like a bite. But I had only been down to the post office, down the road, earlier that day and had not been aware of anything happening.
So as this latest reaction to a bite continued I did all the things I always do, day and night antihistamines, anthisane and hydrocortisone creams until they weren't needed and it all was going OK and seemed to be recovering well. Then the night of Sunday 21st June 2015 my leg started hurting really badly, I did not sleep well, and awoke early to talk to mum about it.
We went for an emergency GP appointment around 3-00pm on Monday, 22nd June 2015. GP was worried I may have a Deep vein thrombosis, as I have type 2 diabetes and a blood disease that makes too many red blood cells, which means I have a greater chance of a DVT.
The other choice was Cellulitis, an infection of the tissues that needs treatment with Antibiotics.
So the GP made a call and wrote a letter to the DVT clinic to get tested for presence of DVT, and we went to the hospital the next day on Tuesday, 23rd June 2015. The result of the blood DVT test was negative for the presence of a DVT, and was I glad. So we went home and Mum went to get the antibiotics perscription needed to treat the cellulitis. At time of writting I have 1 and a half days left of a 7 day course of medication, and enforced rest with my leg resting to allow the treatment to work.
This 2015 situation was the 3rd serious bite reaction I have had in the last 4 years and it is not a nice experience. I find it a challenge on top of all the other challenges in my life, which may not always be apparent to those looking on. It was also made tougher because Mum accidentally injured the phashia (fleshy bony part in the sole of the foot about 8weeks ago) and has been struggling along with things, but as it was not getting better, she is seeking treatment now, for which I am really glad for her and for me.
As a girl with Asperger Syndrome I find aspects of my life quite hard on a daily basis, but the stress of coping with some thing that immobilises me and stops me in my tracks in such a way is often stressfull and can cause pain of a different kind. However, in the world as it is nowadays, I feel blessed that I have treatment and that I am now on the way to recovery.
So as this latest reaction to a bite continued I did all the things I always do, day and night antihistamines, anthisane and hydrocortisone creams until they weren't needed and it all was going OK and seemed to be recovering well. Then the night of Sunday 21st June 2015 my leg started hurting really badly, I did not sleep well, and awoke early to talk to mum about it.
We went for an emergency GP appointment around 3-00pm on Monday, 22nd June 2015. GP was worried I may have a Deep vein thrombosis, as I have type 2 diabetes and a blood disease that makes too many red blood cells, which means I have a greater chance of a DVT.
The other choice was Cellulitis, an infection of the tissues that needs treatment with Antibiotics.
So the GP made a call and wrote a letter to the DVT clinic to get tested for presence of DVT, and we went to the hospital the next day on Tuesday, 23rd June 2015. The result of the blood DVT test was negative for the presence of a DVT, and was I glad. So we went home and Mum went to get the antibiotics perscription needed to treat the cellulitis. At time of writting I have 1 and a half days left of a 7 day course of medication, and enforced rest with my leg resting to allow the treatment to work.
This 2015 situation was the 3rd serious bite reaction I have had in the last 4 years and it is not a nice experience. I find it a challenge on top of all the other challenges in my life, which may not always be apparent to those looking on. It was also made tougher because Mum accidentally injured the phashia (fleshy bony part in the sole of the foot about 8weeks ago) and has been struggling along with things, but as it was not getting better, she is seeking treatment now, for which I am really glad for her and for me.
As a girl with Asperger Syndrome I find aspects of my life quite hard on a daily basis, but the stress of coping with some thing that immobilises me and stops me in my tracks in such a way is often stressfull and can cause pain of a different kind. However, in the world as it is nowadays, I feel blessed that I have treatment and that I am now on the way to recovery.
No comments:
Post a Comment