Wednesday, 2 September 2015

My Identity, his grace - learning along the way part 3

I watched Charlotte Elmore on BBC 1 - Me and My new brain, about the accident which gave her the brain injury she is now living with on a daily basis. I found the whole programme interesting, as she experienced where it all happened in Switzerland, at the hospital after the accident 4 years ago.
then the psychological effects of the trauma and the recovery.
There were aspects I could relate to which I have lived with all my life, but she has had to adjust to after the accident. Like coping with social situations, light and noise, and the challenges of understanding what other people's emotions are in certain areas.
Things which I have difficulty with and always will.
My identity has changed or rather my veiw of my identity has changed over time, as along the journey of life I have had dyslexia diagnosed, then Aspergers (autism).
Other things have changed my Identity and the way I see my life, because of the negative parts of my past  which made me feel a certain way, but then changed with revelation of aspects of my life that were very positive.
My identity rests very much within the idea of autism and what I am able to do or not do, not that I choose to be disabled by autism, but that is the result/ effect of how my brain works and has always worked.
Healing is a difficult challenge because, who I am now aged 48, soon to be 49 is intimately intwined with autism and there are things about it I would be very happy to get rid of, but equally there are things about me and who I am which I would be sorry to loose. So it is not a simple choice healed or remain as I am.
I spent many sad and difficult years while growing up begging God to heal me, recognising I was different and not knowing why, feeling suicidal, feeling lost. Bullied by children who knew I was vulnerable, and struggling to function in the world. Feeling down trodden and a second class  failure for most of my education and quite a while into my adult life.
Walking with Jesus,learning about love, beginning  to find, my identity in him, while walking the journey, as I am with him, finding peace in the middle of the challenges I face every day, because of autism, I am accepted by heaven as I am and as I walk this path, trying to fight for justice for all people like me, who are made to function in heaven, as we are people who have not disconnected from heaven, that we life in another world, which may be heaven.
I am learning that this is probably the case, as if like me before we come to earth we decide to live as people with autism then, according to Ian Clayton teaching then does healing need to happen. I have experienced healing in the very fact I am writing this blog, that I am able to manage my money and I know the change I should be getting, I can tell the time, I can drive, I make cards and do paper craft and use a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment