Last night I watched the documentary with Sally Phillips about Down's Syndrome. As an individual I was appalled by the statistics relating to how many "choose" to terminate on the basis of medical need.
Like Sally Phillips I see Down's Syndrome as a type of person, not a disease to be eradicated.
I am a person with Autism and at one point Sally Phillips mentioned Autism which came right into my consciousness. Would I have to justify my existence some time in the future. Because although I struggled to find work, and I live with Government support. My quality of life is fairly fullfilling and I do what I can for the community in which I live.
I don't personally know anyone with Down's Syndrome, but I see Down's people on telly and they are special, and families that are blessed with these children, obviously want them and love them dearly.
My biggest feeling from watching the whole programme was what the science community said regarding The NIPT test, that it would be an informed decision to terminate or not via the screening. My thoughts were that it felt like the eugnenics of the past, which now seems not so in the past.
The scientists would deny any such connection I am sure, were it put to them, but as a person on the spectrum who could be the focus of such things in the future, not to mention young people who are yet to be born.
I also speaks to me of the disconnection from what is our responsability as human beings, it not to take the place of God and do what in general terms thought to be right. The Nazi's really believed they were right, Issis(Daesh) really believes they are right.
Part of the beauty of this planet is the different people who live on it, not always successfully, but also the value of human life has been degraded. We don't have the right to murder another person and prison is the result of those who do such a thing, and yet we kill endless babies who may have nothing wrong with them, because it is not the right time.
I have compassion for a rape victim who wants to terminate, but we are killing too many potential people, and I find it a tragedy all the way around.
Like Sally Phillips I see Down's Syndrome as a type of person, not a disease to be eradicated.
I am a person with Autism and at one point Sally Phillips mentioned Autism which came right into my consciousness. Would I have to justify my existence some time in the future. Because although I struggled to find work, and I live with Government support. My quality of life is fairly fullfilling and I do what I can for the community in which I live.
I don't personally know anyone with Down's Syndrome, but I see Down's people on telly and they are special, and families that are blessed with these children, obviously want them and love them dearly.
My biggest feeling from watching the whole programme was what the science community said regarding The NIPT test, that it would be an informed decision to terminate or not via the screening. My thoughts were that it felt like the eugnenics of the past, which now seems not so in the past.
The scientists would deny any such connection I am sure, were it put to them, but as a person on the spectrum who could be the focus of such things in the future, not to mention young people who are yet to be born.
I also speaks to me of the disconnection from what is our responsability as human beings, it not to take the place of God and do what in general terms thought to be right. The Nazi's really believed they were right, Issis(Daesh) really believes they are right.
Part of the beauty of this planet is the different people who live on it, not always successfully, but also the value of human life has been degraded. We don't have the right to murder another person and prison is the result of those who do such a thing, and yet we kill endless babies who may have nothing wrong with them, because it is not the right time.
I have compassion for a rape victim who wants to terminate, but we are killing too many potential people, and I find it a tragedy all the way around.
No comments:
Post a Comment